StreetFerret

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/06/2020 1:47 pm  #1

Add bread crumb line to Live Ferret on mobile

Hi again Street Ferret,

I thought of a suggestion.  As I go out running, I look at Live Ferret on my phone to check which new streets to run down.  Sometimes I end up in a maze of a neighborhood, and I can't remember which roads I just covered since the map colors don't update until after the run.  It would be great if there was a button that enabled the tracking dot to draw a line, and I could see a "bread crumb" trail of the current run.  That way I wouldn't get home and realize I missed 1 intersection and have to go back.

This wouldn't have to save anywhere or substitute for the GPS data from Strava, the line could be temporary and clear itself as soon as I switch it off.  I'm not sure if your map allows drawing on it like this, but if it does, I think people would like it!

7/06/2020 11:05 pm  #2

Re: Add bread crumb line to Live Ferret on mobile

Hell yeah.  I actually tried to implement this when I first built the Live Ferret mode.  It turns out that the javascript spec is very particular about not allowing background recording.  It will ONLY pull GPS positions when the page is being displayed.  The only way this function would work on a web page is if you kept it up on the screen the whole time - not really practical.  I'm eventually hoping to build an app to do this, but that's on the future list for now.

8/25/2020 4:22 pm  #3

Re: Add bread crumb line to Live Ferret on mobile

Note that I have started work on an Android app that will be able to keep a breadcrumb.  I'm not sure how long it will take but it's coming together nicely so far!

Board footera