StreetFerret

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/08/2020 9:12 pm  #11

Re: Making edits in OpenStreetMaps

I see what you mean, like West Roxbury (https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4033685).  So no, I don't have those neighborhoods loaded into StreetFerret.  If I did, you'd see them in the city list.  They're not coded in OSM as administrative boundaries, so I didn't pick them up in the initial bulk import.

6/08/2020 11:39 pm  #12

It might be solved... Boston got its periodic update today and the street you mentioned seems to be reporting a meaningful number now.  Not declaring victory yet but it's looking promising now.

6/09/2020 9:57 am  #13

Sure, if you look at the map here www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/42.3016/-71.1386, you'll see the Boston/Brookline city boundary running north/south.  I didn't notice the neighborhood boundaries until I went into the Edit view, then you'll see the blue boundary following Allandale Street.  It separates the Jamaica Plain and West Roxbury neighborhoods.

The reason I suspected neighborhood boundaries might have some effect is that Allandale Street used to be blank (neither red or green) but only on the Boston side.  The neighborhood boundary jumped across the street a few times, so I smoothed the boundary so that Allandale is 100% in Jamaica Plain.  After your refresh this weekend, Allandale has turned green, and shows 100% in the distance complete.

Edit: Just saw your other two posts on the 2nd page. I'll check it out.
Edit 2: In pulling todays excel file and sorting by longest streets, I still see a lot of roads reporting 0 miles when there should be something. I'm not convinced yet the neighborhood theory is correct, but it is odd that of the 20 longest streets in Boston, the ones reporting miles to my total miles are contained within in a single neighborhood.

Last edited by dmoyer89 (6/09/2020 10:30 am)

6/09/2020 9:41 pm  #14

Yeah, the neighborhood boundaries are coincidental because they don't exist in the database.  I think it's most likely a problem with city boundary edge cases.  Can you give me some examples of streets not reporting correctly so I can chase them down?

6/10/2020 9:53 pm  #15

Here are some examples looking at the 5 longest roads in Boston.  They all report 0% except VFW Parkway.  I have run some amount greater than 0 for all five of these roads.  The odd thing is that I just realized VFW Parkway does cross the city boundary going south into Dedham, but hopefully this info leads to something on your end.
1)Washington Street -16.64 mi - 0.00 mi - 0.00% 
2)Commonwealth Avenue - 11.76 mi - 0.00 mi - 0.00%
3)Centre Street - 9.16 mi - 0.00 mi - 0.00%
4)Veterans of Foreign Wars Parkway - 7.57 mi - 6.91 mi - 91.30%
5)Blue Hill Avenue - 7.18 mi - 0.00 mi - 0.00%

Last edited by dmoyer89 (6/10/2020 9:54 pm)

6/10/2020 10:49 pm  #16

Yep, I see it.  The underlying nodes are marked as run but it's not tabulated at the street level. 

I believe this is caused by a bug I discovered recently in which a map change to a street caused that street's distance to get reset.  I fixed the bug that caused it to get reset, but it seems there's nothing to trigger a recalculation of the street's distance.  There's also no simple way to tell which streets are tabulated incorrectly, though I can at least narrow down the search to streets with zero distance that have two or more completed nodes.  Then I can go through and retabulate the distances on those streets.

To test this theory, first I'm going to fix the Boston city boundary.  That will trigger a re-analysis of all activities logged in the city.  We should see the number report normally after that's completed.  Next I'll make some small change to one of those streets to ensure that the distance does not get reset.  If that change does not break the distance calculations then we know this issue is no longer recurring.  Then I will write some repair code to go through and retabulate the distance on the potentially broken streets across the database.

6/11/2020 9:24 am  #17

Glad there is progress.  Let me know if I can do anything else to help, and thank you again!

6/17/2020 12:00 pm  #18

Hmm, looks like that didn't fix the bug.  It appears that the issue still occurs when processing map changes.  Still digging.

6/22/2020 10:22 pm  #19

Okay, I think we've got this working now!  👍  Boston's stats survived the last map update, so I'm calling this one fixed.  Let me know if you notice anything out of whack.  Thanks for the detailed report.

7/01/2020 10:24 am  #20

Sorry I missed your previous reply.  I looked at my street data today, and it appears that all the streets I identified with issues are reporting correctly now.  Thanks for your work on this!

Board footera