StreetFerret

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/02/2020 11:51 am  #1

Making edits in OpenStreetMaps

As I come across roads that are incorrectly tagged for pedestrian access, I've been uploading the changes to OpenStreetMaps.  I added foot access to a street by my parents house in PA, and I've seen that change show up on my StreetFerret city map.  It's now green.

However, at the same time I also made a number of changes to my current city of Boston.  I labeled one street as private, and changed two other lines incorrectly identified as a street to non-streets.  I haven't seen these changes come over yet as they're all still showing red, and their old street labels.  You said maps generally update once per week (maybe we just need a little more time), but I wanted to ask if there are specific labels to qualify or disqualify a street from being recognized?  I've noticed a street needs foot access and a name.  Are there other rules?  It may help us in making map updates.

Something did update with Boston over the weekend.  It wasn't showing in my city list for a day, and now that it's back, my distance completed dropped from 21% to 7%.  I still see all the green streets on the map that I saw before, so I'm wondering if something is still updating with the city?

6/03/2020 11:25 pm  #2

Re: Making edits in OpenStreetMaps

Hey there.

So first off, thanks for updating the map as you go 👍  This not only helps make the map better for Ferreters but also improves the map for everybody, period!

So the 7 day update cycle is somewhat aspirational.  I continue to tinker with the algorithm to improve performance and fix bugs - very much a work in progress.  At the moment, the site will update the map slower if the server is overloaded with processing activities.  I've added an indicator on the site status to show how old the least recently updated city data is (11 days as of this writing).  The last update to the map in Boston was 8 days ago.  Perhaps these are useful indicators to include in the front end for users, especially those that are updating openstreetmap as they go!

I recently ran some updates to check for inconsistencies in the city data which caused me to reprocess around 3,000 cities, which is probably what you saw.  I eyeballed your map for Boston and I suspect that 7% is probably the right number (there are A LOT of streets there), but by all means if you think I've got it wrong let me know so I can dig into it.

Here are the rules I used to decide if a street is runnable:

has ["name"]
has ["highway"]
["highway" !~ "path"]
["highway" !~ "steps"]
["highway" !~ "service"]
["highway" !~ "motorway"]
["highway" !~ "motorway_link"]
["highway" !~ "raceway"]
["highway" !~ "bridleway"]
["highway" !~ "cycleway"]
["highway" !~ "proposed"]
["highway" !~ "construction"]
["highway" !~ "elevator"]
["highway" !~ "bus_guideway"]
["highway" !~ "footway"]
["foot" !~ "no"]
["access" !~ "private"]
["access" !~ "no"];

"!~" means "not equal to"

6/04/2020 4:22 pm  #3

Thank you for clarifying the "runnability" rules, that will be extremely helpful as I'm running along and fixing roads that don't match. Adding the city database age was also a great idea.

For the percent complete in Boston, it says 10.48% of streets complete, which sounds like it could be correct.  However, for me I prefer looking at the % Distance complete since I think of my runs more in number of miles.  This stat used to say about 200 miles / 21% of Distance complete, but after the refresh it only shows 78 miles / 7.7% distance complete.  My street page for Boston also isn't showing anything at all, so maybe there's something getting stuck with the street data?  streetferret.com/sf/streets?c=2315704

Last edited by dmoyer89 (6/05/2020 11:19 am)

6/05/2020 2:01 pm  #4

You're right, I've borked the streets list.  I also noticed one of my own cities is not quite at the right percentage.  So it looks like I've got some work to do.  Also, I'm going to add a feature that lets you download an excel file with your street completion data.  It may or may not be useful to users but it'll be darned helpful to me for troubleshooting. 

Last edited by Admin (6/05/2020 2:13 pm)

6/05/2020 3:35 pm  #5

Looks like the issue has to do with streets that cross the city/town boundary.  It is counting those streets as 0% complete instead of the correct amount.

6/06/2020 7:39 pm  #6

Hi, please take a look at your Boston stats and let me know if this look right or not.

6/08/2020 3:13 pm  #7

I took a look and the visual map is now reflecting many of my recent edits.  However, the "Distance Complete" still seems low, given that it showed 200 miles a few weeks ago.  As a spot check, I downloaded the Boston streets excel file and checked two longer roads I know have multiple miles complete.  Washington Street and Hyde Park Avenue both say 0 miles, but I have lots of green on the map.  It still seems like some roads are adding to "Distance Complete" while others aren't.  The map still turns green daily as I complete new roads.

It is interesting that you mentioned the city/town boundaries.  I noticed that if a road crosses a Boston boundary, the segment that is in two cities will be blank (neither red or green).  It's generally very minor unless the road is a long straight segment.  I tried fixing it by splitting the line at the city boundary, and it worked in the latest city refresh.  Now I also see what you mean that longer roads such as Washington St & Hyde Park Ave cross internal neighborhood boundaries, and aren't counting towards total distance. Veterans of Foreign Wars Parkway is completely within West Roxbury, so it does count towards the total miles.

6/08/2020 4:19 pm  #8

So, the boundary logic is exactly as you describe.  I only count the nodes that are inside or on the city boundary.  Thus, a road "ends" at the last node that's at or inside the boundary.  Each red/green segment is defined by the two node endpoints.  A segment is considered "run" if you hit the node on either end.  This does allow for a bit of gamesmanship in a grid system, where you can run down two parallel streets and pick up all of the cross streets "for free" if there's no intermediate nodes.  Although, if a node gets added later on the cross streets, it'd go from green to red if you didn't actually run down it!

I made the choice to only count the nodes internal to the city and exclude the segments that crossed the city boundary.  I thought that looked and felt neater than having all those little line segments cross over the boundary.  Plus it makes the logic much simpler in code: if node is inside boundary, include it.  I could be convinced that it's the wrong approach, but that's the one I took.

Anyways, back on topic... It sounds like from your description that I might have a bug which occurs when processing updates to the city map that breaks streets that cross the city line.  Thanks for the detailed report, this will be really helpful in finally tracking this issue down.

Last edited by Admin (6/08/2020 4:19 pm)

6/08/2020 5:35 pm  #9

I would agree to only count nodes inside a city boundary.  It's generally unnoticeable, and for the few streets where it was obvious, I added the extra node at the boundary to fix it.

The separate issue might be that larger cities like Boston are subdivided into smaller towns/neighborhoods.  There are 15-20 towns inside Boston, and each has it's own administrative boundary on OSM.  It looks like things are working correctly on the map view of Boston, but when longer streets cross internal boundaries, maybe we're seeing problems with distance totals?

6/08/2020 6:38 pm  #10

dmoyer89 wrote:

The separate issue might be that larger cities like Boston are subdivided into smaller towns/neighborhoods.  There are 15-20 towns inside Boston, and each has it's own administrative boundary on OSM.  It looks like things are working correctly on the map view of Boston, but when longer streets cross internal boundaries, maybe we're seeing problems with distance totals?

Can you give me an example of this?  I'm not seeing that there are admin boundaries below the city level for Boston.  At least not ones with a boundary.

Board footera