StreetFerret

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/18/2019 1:13 am  #1

Welcome to StreetFerret -- Overview and FAQ

Welcome to StreetFerret.

I built StreetFerret to provide accurate statistics on streets and miles run by city.  StreetFerret is built on Strava and OpenStreetMap.

Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Will you add support for Runkeeper, MapMyRun, MapMyFitness, ....
A: No.  Strava is universally compatible with virtually every run tracking site and device.  There are many ways to get your running data into Strava.  Focusing on one data provider simplifies site development and administration.

Q: I found an error in the map!  What should I do?
A: Fix it in OpenStreetMap!  StreetFerret obeys OpenStreetMap's access tags foot= and access=.  If a road is private and can't be run, please correct it in OpenStreetMap.  If only part of the road is private, you can divide the road into separate ways and mark the private part private and the public part public.  StreetFerret will pick up this change in it's next sync with OpenStreetMap.

Q: A city is missing!
A: StreetFerret will automatically detect cities listed on OpenStreetMap with admin_level=7 or admin_level=8.  This covers the vast majority of cases, however, there are some outliers that need to get added manually.  If you find a missing city that's in OpenStreetMap, please post a bug report with a link to the city in OpenStreetMap.  Note that the city must have a valid, complete boundary in OpenStreetMap in order to be usable.  In some cases, there may be a problem in OpenStreetMap that needs to get fixed before a city can be imported.

Note: as of October 2019, OpenStreetMap updates occur every 7 days.

Last edited by Admin (10/16/2019 6:55 am)

Board footera