StreetFerret

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/08/2020 12:46 pm  #1

Only 2020 runs?

Hi,
Could it be possible to only track runs from a certain date? I want to run every street in my city this year. I'd love to be able to remove all the runs before this time.
Thanks!

5/11/2020 7:18 pm  #2

Re: Only 2020 runs?

Hi there,

It's a neat idea.  I have to think about how this might be implemented.  One option would be to allow users to set a global cutoff-date.  That would be the cleanest option because it would affect all the metrics site-wide.  Or perhaps I allow users to generate maps on demand for a specific city / time range.  I do want to avoid lots of re-processing.  Curious to hear how you use the site and what this might look like.

5/13/2020 4:13 pm  #3

I think the global cut-off date works.
Ultimately, I've made it my goal to run 100% of the streets in my city this year. I'd like to know percentage wise my progress and see the visual. The problem is I don't want to count any run that happened before January 1, 2020. I'm not currently tracking any other city, so I wouldn't miss having all my old runs not being counted.
Hope this helps and I hope this isn't hard to develop.
Cheers,
Scott

1/16/2021 5:20 pm  #4

New user here.  Anyway to filter the runs to only look at those from this year?  Or would I need to manually delete those prior to 2021?

1/16/2021 7:34 pm  #5

From a processing and data storage perspective, I take advantage of certain efficiencies by computing your run data on a global basis, so there isn't an "easy" way to do this.  Certainly, you could delete out your older runs, but do you really want to wipe your Strava history?

Given that I now have two requests for this, it seems that I should consider this feature more seriously.

In order to do this, I will have to store an additional data point for every node of every city you've ever run.  So, to keep it reasonable, I envision a page when you might specify a date range, and then it would compute an entirely parallel set of statistics, and you could switch between "global" and "my current challenge" view.

This will take some work to put together, so don't expect this feature to come together quickly

1/17/2021 10:46 am  #6

Seconding the request to have an option to look at runs from certain dates. I’m starting a 2021 project to run all the streets in Manhattan and that feature would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

2/11/2021 12:29 pm  #7

I'm going to add my voice to those asking to be able to see only runs from the current year. I'd love to be able to say "I ran all of city x in 2021."

Last edited by mdrider (2/11/2021 12:29 pm)

2/12/2021 9:44 pm  #8

As someone who completed a project to run all streets of Salt Lake City in 2020, I echo that having this functionality (to narrow the map to a specific date range) would have been incredibly helpful as I worked through the city. I used street ferret to get "mostly" there but still had to maintain a manual map to ensure that all streets got done in the calendar year (whereas, if I only used street ferret, there was the possibility that some of the streets pre-dated my project).

Board footera